Savoring Life

So the day I got some rather bad news about my dad's cancer was also the day my doctor said, "NO more pasta and bread for you." What? No more comfort food...NOW? There HAS to be a way to fight my cholesterol, feed my family enjoyable meals and still savor the moments we all have together. That's my quest - and this blog will hopefully be my success story unfolding.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Breakfast (...oatmeal and Fish Oil anyone?)

Okay, I'm not going to bore you everyday with what items I'm consuming---really! But this is actually one of my other 'elements' in this plan to attack the weight and cholesterol.

Quickly: I've never done well with breakfast - usually skipped it altogether. Pregnancy and now having a toddler changed my habits some - but this whole process is about THINKING about what, when, how you're eating, I suppose. Better to do it once on the front end - make my determinations - then try to form habits. No--not a "diet plan"...life habits. [Doesn't THINKING burn calories?? It sure seems to wear me out...] So committing to a somewhat hearty, healthful breakfast becomes a must.

Okay oatmeal is a given. I can default to that - and keep blueberries on hand. Isa likes those, too. Her a.m. routine involves fruit, yogurt and generally a piece of toast. Today she had Cheerios in place of the toast - and mommy had a few (dry) too. Then I made an egg white omelet of sorts with red peppers, asparagus, chicken (cooked yesterday) and a bit of Parm. Doc said some white cheese was okay...I didn't use much. But here's the rub: I can rarely do eggs without bread/toast of some sort. Physically can't do it. And, I've gotten used to sharing toast with Isa in the a.m. - that was generally my b'fast routine.

So - how did I incorporate that 4 bites rule? Toasted the scant heel of the loaf of wheat bread (yep - it was about 4 bites, maybe less) and slathered it with Promise Activ - another addition to my eating/cooking habits. [more on plant sterols in a moment] I made it through the 'omelet' with just a nibble of toast every other bite or so. And it really wasn't that bad. Tasty even. Maybe satisfying?

Also - had more plant sterols in the OJ - MinteMaid Heart Wise. The plant sterols and stanols info seems legit, so I'm adding those through spreads and juice - and trying to incorporate more raw veggies. I already do lots of fruit (probably have to curb that a bit). For more quick info on plant sterols, here are some links:
http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/low-cholesterol-diet-plant-sterols-stanols


http://herbs.lovetoknow.com/What_Foods_are_High_in_Plant_Sterols

Last, but not least, the supplements. Odorless Fish Oil tablets and Red Yeast Rice. One each for me in the a.m. and one each later in the day. So far I'm not burping up fish oil taste - and that is essential. As for the Red Yeast Rice, it was recommended by a friend who said this was the only thing he changed and it caused his cholesterol to drop "a chunk." Here's a starting point if you want to research and draw your own conclusions: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-yeast-rice/NS_patient-redyeast

Now, I'm already bored reading all this, but hopefully there are some tidbits here that may be helpful to some who venture to read these musings. Maybe I'm just tired again from THINKING about it all...and it's already time to THINK about lunch. **sigh** 

No comments:

Post a Comment